• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

How does Comcast do it ?? Hiring...

Started by Super Fly Cable Guy, May 21, 2007, 08:05:36 pm

previous topic - next topic

Super Fly Cable Guy

So I applied for an entry level job in my home town in Maryland.
It was an entry level job which I really didn't want but I wanted to see how it paid.
Generally speaking it was a fair; starting wage of $12 something.....for Zero experience.
There are jobs such as ComTech4 available which, by the job description, fits closer to what I do now IMO.
Do they hire outside the company to higher positions?
The lady I spoke with said that everyone has to start as a comm tech 1 which is way less then what I'm getting now. Obvisouly I couldn't afford to make that change.
Any suggestions? View points? Etc...?
I'd really like to relocate back to where my family is and where I grew up at but I need to hear something like...Show me the Money!  :)

Currently I ....
Sweep / Balance
Noise Mitigate
Design / Modify / Verify Plant & Prints
CLI 320s & FCC Proofs
Any fiber issues
Construction Aerial Only, No UG
Headend / Hub Maint
And on rare occasion roll for Mutliple Repeat TC issues
What in your opinions, does that job closely fit in the Comcastic World?
Mediacom Communications BFE, Kentucky !
"It's only Roadside if you make the Road !"

http://www.myspace.com/zax42071

w0lfpaws

Hardlife

Comcast

"Welcome to the Coalition of the Abused"

Quote from: slacker05 on July 04, 2008, 07:55:43 pm
Quota optimization.  otherwise known as lube

Tech520

YOU can apply for those posititions.  Just note all that stuff on your resume. CT-4 or CT-5

CableTool

Quote from: w0lfpaws on May 21, 2007, 08:16:24 pm
maintenance sup...,lol

Pretty much. Thats the only time Ive seen someone be able to jump levels. I hired someone a month or so ago that did sweep and all that crap as a contractor. I think he worked for Motorola actually. He went all over the country certifying shit.

Anyway, he is currently doing video only installs for about $13.65 an hour.

If you really want to make that move it might be worth it to o ahead and take whatever position is open. Ive always found in this company that once you are in you can pretty much move around wherever you want. Ive seen techs go to sups in a matter of less then 2 years. CT1s go to production and such.

Hell, Ive been in three offices in the past 9 months. All jobs I bid on and moved to.

Super Fly Cable Guy

I guess I'm screwed. I didn't do cable the last 10 yrs to start over as an installer again. Thats not gonna happen. Who can afford a 1800/month house payment on $13/hr with kids. I figured that house pmt given the average house is running $250K plus where I'm wanting to move to. Its just not financially feasible. I certainly appreicate everyones response however and glad to know where I would more then likely stand, I just had higher expectations.
Mediacom Communications BFE, Kentucky !
"It's only Roadside if you make the Road !"

http://www.myspace.com/zax42071

CableTool

yeah.. the longer and higher you go your only option is management. Check it out at least. Probably start you out at $25-$30.00

dj4man

Quote from: mzacharko on May 23, 2007, 08:51:49 pm
I guess I'm screwed. I didn't do cable the last 10 yrs to start over as an installer again. Thats not gonna happen. Who can afford a 1800/month house payment on $13/hr with kids. I figured that house pmt given the average house is running $250K plus where I'm wanting to move to. Its just not financially feasible. I certainly appreicate everyones response however and glad to know where I would more then likely stand, I just had higher expectations.

I feel your pain brother.  Intimately.

-dJ
I did it like this, I did it like that, I did it with a wiffle ball bat.  So.......

theylove2hate

be a contractor you'll make more then the sups with no time invested

but all depends if you wanna run around doing cable all day or relax alittle more as a manager ( depends on the system )

ranger2408

who in the hell would be a contractor, a reviled piece of dirt on the company's shoe? no thanks.
It is bad enough i am one now.

theylove2hate

depends who u work for and were i guess i have always liked it and made out really good