• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Hall Of Shame

Started by CableTool, September 24, 2007, 09:38:19 am

previous topic - next topic

TKTowman

I used to call in apts that showed disco or w/o a shield because it was worth it to add the job to my route.. then they decided we couldn't do that anymore.  :wtf:
So instead of calling to check, anything without a shield that was only hand tight was cut off. One way or another they would have to call in. :)
It's not the fall that hurts, it's the sudden stop at the end.
Quote from: cableguy66Welcome.  Most of us are just alcoholics with a cable problem, but I am sure you'll learn a lot here.   :pint:  ;D

Chaplin

Quote from: tktowman on March 10, 2008, 06:54:51 pm
So instead of calling to check, anything without a shield that was only hand tight was cut off. One way or another they would have to call in. :)

WORD!!

Quote from: slacker05 on December 01, 2009, 05:13:02 pm
way to go chappy!  that was the most abrupt hijack i've ever seen on here!  :sixer:

NoPegs

Sad  :cry: to admit this  :shit: was found on *my* line in *my* apartment!!!  :eek: :eek:

So, for the longest time the analogs on ch 5 and below were horribly staticy.  Never bothered me or my room mate, we all got digital...  So one day I decided to poke the ped and the housebox...  The ped checked out ok, right type end on the 6-quad, etc...  Replaced all the ends on the cables inside the walls, got about 2dB back from that...

Went down to the "housebox"  :duh: which had been hanging open for several years because its a single dwelling box that has 4 drops in it...  So the connectors on the cable look shady, so I snips the UG off, and throw a new connector on it.  Run a temp (59 head-end cable!)out the window and stick it onto the UG with a barrel...  Comes in crystal clear!  Hmmm...   Strip back the drop going into the apartment, and I do a double take...  No shiny reflection from my flashlight  :eek:  Strip it back a bit more... same thing.  So I'm out there thinking  :shit: :shit: this thing is corroded all the way back...

So I pull it out of the box, and pull some slack, stick it into the box on the other side with a new weatherseal, etc, and snip off about 12" of wire, and *PRAY* for t3h sh1ny!...  thankfully, there was shiny in there!  Put it all together, button up the housebox, ziptie it shut so it is water resistant... Head upstairs, and perfect signal across the boards...  7.5db improvement on the lows, 4.5 on the highs, and 3db on the modem/emta.  Success!!!  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

The junk I removed...

Water damage and a bit of suckout...

:sick:

So, I'll take partial blame for putting up with junk signal for almost a year, but I'm also pointing the finger at the damn contractors who installed it originally, then added cdv a few months later...  These are the original goddamn fittings from the 80s!!!

As always, high-res pics at www.poogrinder.com/failure

jabbu

A few of my co-workers would not see a "Problem" with that :(

jaycableguy

jaycableguy

Xumed

Some one actually tried to claim this was a damage claim.  "One of your techs did this to my TV!".  Umm yeah sure...

steelhead78

I like the fire hazard plugged into the wall to the left. :duh:
Comcast- Blairsville, PA

This is like a think-tank of nothing.

travis2144

the rental fee on that box looks like it cost more than all the other  :shit: in that picture

RF2Lite2RF

Quote from: steelhead78 on May 04, 2008, 02:49:47 pm
I like the fire hazard plugged into the wall to the left. :duh:

...and the un-used power strip layin' there on the right, plugged into an ext cord?!?... :wtf:
"C* giveth... and C* taketh away..."

Xumed

"Yep that'll do it for getting your cable hooked up.  What's that the black line on the side of your house?  OH that's just standard procedure.  Give it a couple days and you'll never even know it's there."

GNO

"A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having."

CableDaddy3

Must have been short on cable that day.
Quote from: dj4man on February 10, 2008, 03:14:22 pm
I feel like every day I worked as a contractor was a day stolen from me.

Quote from: CableTool on December 18, 2007, 01:53:02 pm
They have like.. yellow crumbely crap on em? And smell odd.
In any event, tonight Ill clean em up and give one a whirl...

http://adam-tech.blogspot.com/

slacker05

or pride in craftsmanship.  the warehouse must've been out of stock that morning.  :pee:
Slacker: Always.

CCT5, Keystone

Quote from: sleepinwitdcablguy on December 23, 2007, 04:53:14 pm
I wish stupid hurt. 

Quote from: Decoy on September 20, 2010, 10:25:36 am
In the pursuit of numbers customer service suffers.

CableDaddy3

Pride seems to be a rare commodity
Quote from: dj4man on February 10, 2008, 03:14:22 pm
I feel like every day I worked as a contractor was a day stolen from me.

Quote from: CableTool on December 18, 2007, 01:53:02 pm
They have like.. yellow crumbely crap on em? And smell odd.
In any event, tonight Ill clean em up and give one a whirl...

http://adam-tech.blogspot.com/