• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

XBOXLive and Netgears

Started by CableTool, October 31, 2007, 01:06:08 pm

previous topic - next topic

CableTool

What have you guys heard about this combo? We are exclusivley Netgear here from what the warehouse is telling me. That is all that coroporate is ordering.
Over the past few weeks weve seen a rush of calls for XBOXLive and Netgears. When the sub logs into XBL thier Netgear resets or they loose connectivity.

One sup here stated there was an issue with XBOX. He stated it was bandwidth intensive and when sharing a connection with it the system would just drop.

I dont have an XBOX and havent even been in a home that had an issue with one for me to look at. Two of my techs have had these calls. The subs were DEMANDING Linksys Routers.  :eek: Ive been on the XBOX forums and really couldnt find anything specific. Just general Router issues.

:stumped: Any ideas?

sword_of_gideon

I've been on several of these so far.  Any more information would be great.  From what I've read on some game forums, the issue has to do with the number of simultaneous connections required by XBOXLive.  Apparently, this also happens on non-Comcast branded Netgears, and in those instances was traced back to a firmware issue.  I wasn't able to figure out if this was the case with us or not.  I have been fortunate enough to have a spare Linksys to swap out the couple of times it's been an issue. 

I'll see if I can find the forum...

Edit: 
http://www.tacticalgamer.com/hardware-software-discussion/81524-netgear-cg814wg-router.html
http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=14832
http://www.techsupportforum.com/gaming-forum/console-gaming-support/180259-xbox-live-problem-disconnecting-random.html
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/netgear-cg814wg-v2-problem-t169545.html&p=1042042

</sarcasm>

Hardlife

We've been dealing with that for about 8 months or so. The small white Netgear's are the only ones that do it. The older black an purple ones were fine, the Linksys and RCA routers were no problem. We just tell them to get their own if we don't have any. Sucks but no one in upper management will listen to us. Ass clowns.  :duh:
Comcast

"Welcome to the Coalition of the Abused"

Quote from: slacker05 on July 04, 2008, 07:55:43 pm
Quota optimization.  otherwise known as lube

sword_of_gideon

Quote from: Hardlife on October 31, 2007, 03:33:52 pm
Sucks but no one in upper management will listen to us. Ass clowns.  :duh:

:cheers:
</sarcasm>

CableTool

Hardlife

Tool, for many obvious reasons you seem to be the exception to the rule. We've never met but I'd bet the farm that you'd not just listen to us bitch but also act on it. You'd have to have an ambulance standing by to revive me from shock but it'd be worth it. I fear that management has two def ears. :duh:
Comcast

CableTool

Ha thanks! I just hate not having answers when techs call with issues. Im pretty sure its my job to have em...  :drink:

In any event, this is what I sent out to our management team this morning. Thanks for the links guys.

I've been working on the Netgear Vs XBoxLive issue. My techs have come across a few calls lately, some of them repeats. When a customer connects to XBL their router resets itself. I witnessed this the other day. It does not matter if the subs computer is hooked up at the same time or not, hardwired or wireless.

I inquired with the warehouse to see if they had any Linksys routers, they stated they did not. There is no resolution for this.
The Netgear we provide is on the supported list for Netgear routers. I believe our Firmware is up to date for our router however.
Here is a link to the XBL site and the supported devices.
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/connecttolive/xbox360/homenetworking/equipment.htm

Attached also is our device list including current software/firmware versions. The only resolution for these customers is either swapping out the Netgear with a standard modem and instructing them to purchase their own router, or start looking for Linksys routers in the warehouse and holding them for situations like these. I have three customers right now that cannot use our router with their XBL service. ( Which is rough since we partnered with XBox to sell our service ) http://teamcomcast/TeamComcast/Main/Section/article.aspx?sectionID=40&sectionCategoryID=36&articleID=2316

Here are a few sites online that I found explaining the issue from a customers perspective.
http://www.techsupportforum.com/gaming-forum/console-gaming-support/180259-xbox-live-problem-disconnecting-random.html
http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=14832

Whomever is attending the IVR training coming up try to bring this up to Mike and see if he has any answers. The IVR training touched on modems, networking and Comcasts software being installed on the NetGears for our exclusive use. He might have a workaround. I know in the IVR class I took he stated we will be ditching Comcast Branded routers altogether and subs will be able to purchase standard standalone routers through us. Until then however we are stuck with this issue. It will only get worse as Christmas nears and new game consoles are set up across the west.

Does anyone else have any info or fixes?

I attached our latest list. This should be regional I assume.

Hardlife

Watch that be the first email ever sent about it. The software guys are going to be surprised. I hope us all luck. Thanks Tool. Beer for you. :pint:
Comcast

sword_of_gideon

Sweet.  This isn't the kind of thing my sup would understand, let alone know how to act to correct it.  Much appreciation.   ;D
</sarcasm>

slacker05

damn that makes me glad to have one of our linksys gateways.  i game on xbl almost every night for about 3-5 hours at a clip and have never had a reset.  and now that i know there's a problem with the netgears, i'll be holding on to the one linksys i have in my van and trying to snatch up a few more.

this thread is going to be linked in an e-mail to my boss (also an xbl gamer, as well as  my t.o.m.)

i'll see if we can drum up anything from this end.
Slacker: Always.

CCT5, Keystone

Quote from: sleepinwitdcablguy on December 23, 2007, 04:53:14 pm
I wish stupid hurt. 

Quote from: Decoy on September 20, 2010, 10:25:36 am
In the pursuit of numbers customer service suffers.

CableTool

Our warehouse director committed to gather up all linksys routers from all of our warehouses and refurbishing them and then redistributing them for when these issues come up.
We also have a huge issue with our Warehouses supplying the Netgears with the power packs from the DCT 700s  and overheating the Routers.
I was assured the XBL issue will be escalated up so hopefully we can get corporate to allow Linksys back into our playground.

The only obvious issue Ive seen is the Firmware version on the XBL site is 2.9 while our current version is 3.9. I instructed my techs to make the subs aware of this during the TC and inform them we cannot roll back Firmware Fixes to allow for XBL and what their options are.
Kind of putting it back on XBoxs shoulders. Either their site is not up to date or they could use a push to allow for this models recent firmware.

cg1492

Weird we used to be able to roll back the firmware for connection issues.  I wouldn't be suprised if they start rolling back the f/w to try to fix this issue if corporate can reproduce it on the one router at the vps house who probably doesn't know what xbl is. 
? Wow, I get paid to watch commercials all day long ?

That's a Comcastic connection!

CableTool

This is what is being touted as the fix.
Wont be able to check it until Wednesday.

For most devices that use NAT, port forwarding is not required to connect to Xbox Live. This is especially true if you use an Xbox Live certified device. Port forwarding should only be needed if you use a proxy server or a true firewall device instead of, or in addition to a NAT. Sometimes, you may have to configure port settings on a non Xbox Live certified router or gateway.

If there is a firewall device between the Xbox console and the network device, you may have to configure the firewall to enable communication on specific network ports. If the NAT status in the Network Status area of the Dashboard is "moderate" or "strict," you may have to configure port settings.

The following ports must be available for Xbox Live to operate correctly:

UDP 88

UDP 3074

TCP 3074

travis2144

i've set them on the dmz and the guy showed me how he had his network stuff on the xbox set to the lowest limt, still no luck.

madcap3k

I had this same damn problem the other day.  I turned on the universal plug and play on the router after reading some xbox site.  Dunno if that fixed the problem or not, I doubt it.

I'll have to dig out that work order and see if they're still having the problem.  If they are I'll recommend a different router.  Too bad they have our stupid wireless service.  What a damn waste of money.