• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Goodies not provided by employer

Started by CableDaddy3, December 18, 2007, 01:41:40 pm

previous topic - next topic

CableDaddy3

Okay, this site has inspired me to seek out the best of the best as far as equipment goes. I find it interesting what tools different techs bring to the job with them. I also find it interesting that employers are reluctant to provide their techs with some very handy tools. Thanks to this site I have added a couple tools to my collection (insertion/flaring took, 7/16x9/16 wrench, etc.). I have also found neat software for my flash drive (ie. portableapps.com). I know this has been asked before but I figured it's been a while and some might have purchased new stuff. Likewise, there are many new people here who haven't really spoken yet that might provide some cool stuff. So, here goes: What nifty stuff have you purchased on your own that makes your job easier. Or, what unique stuff has your employer given you that most other employers keep stashed away for you to wonder about?

Another question that goes with this is: If you find an awsome tool, would you be able to convince your company to purchase them? Even a few for testing? I'll get back into the field as soon as I medically can, and would like to be fully equipped.
Quote from: dj4man on February 10, 2008, 03:14:22 pm
I feel like every day I worked as a contractor was a day stolen from me.

Quote from: CableTool on December 18, 2007, 01:53:02 pm
They have like.. yellow crumbely crap on em? And smell odd.
In any event, tonight Ill clean em up and give one a whirl...

http://adam-tech.blogspot.com/

CableDaddy3

hmmm.... guess no one was interested in the thread

slacker05

sorry. . . .i'm interested.  just haven't had time to log in since the friggin ice storm.
Slacker: Always.

CCT5, Keystone

Quote from: sleepinwitdcablguy on December 23, 2007, 04:53:14 pm
I wish stupid hurt. 

Quote from: Decoy on September 20, 2010, 10:25:36 am
In the pursuit of numbers customer service suffers.

Chaplin

Quote from: CableDaddy3 on December 20, 2007, 04:35:37 pm
hmmm.... guess no one was interested in the thread

I can't think of anything that my employer don't get me when I ask.
Quote from: slacker05 on December 01, 2009, 05:13:02 pm
way to go chappy!  that was the most abrupt hijack i've ever seen on here!  :sixer:

jabbu

AK Cable

Quote from: CableDaddy3 on December 18, 2007, 01:41:40 pm

Another question that goes with this is: If you find an awsome tool, would you be able to convince your company to purchase them? Even a few for testing? I'll get back into the field as soon as I medically can, and would like to be fully equipped.

I found this awesome tool it's called Crown Royal trust me it really helps with all the daily duties out in the field but the boss won't get it for me. So if anyone has some extra I'll be needing it. :)
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

"If this boat were sinking, I'd give my life to save you. Not because it's any kind of duty. Only because I like you, for reasons and standards of my own. I could die for you. But I couldn't and wouldn't live for you."

TKTowman

not provided by my employer, but I use low voltage electric boxes to make the hole bigger for wallfishes. Holds better than screwing into the drywall too :)
It's not the fall that hurts, it's the sudden stop at the end.
Quote from: cableguy66Welcome.  Most of us are just alcoholics with a cable problem, but I am sure you'll learn a lot here.   :pint:  ;D

RF2Lite2RF

I couldn't get thru a single day without my 3/4" combination wrench... How else could I tighten all those loose KS-KS and 90/180degree connectors!!
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00944389000P?vName=Tools&cName=HandTools,GeneralPurpose&sName=Wrenches&psid=FROOGLE01&sid=IDx20070921x00003a
"C* giveth... and C* taketh away..."

CableTool

Quote from: tktowman on December 21, 2007, 09:37:35 pm
not provided by my employer, but I use low voltage electric boxes to make the hole bigger for wallfishes. Holds better than screwing into the drywall too :)

Our warehouse actually carries a variation of these. I was buying them myself until I saw a box of em on the ground.
WTF!
Great for making a huge ass hole for a wall fish or the "the fitting came off but the cable is too short to put a new one on!!" in those prewired jobbers...

CableDaddy3

travis2144

i don't like the metal ones.  we use these:

CableDaddy3

Chaplin

Quote from: slacker05 on December 01, 2009, 05:13:02 pm
way to go chappy!  that was the most abrupt hijack i've ever seen on here!  :sixer:

travis2144

we rarely use the biggest ones, looks like a 4 outlet one? but the single and double rock.

wallfishman

we use the single ones that travis posted, They F'ng rock. the metal ones Tool posted we used them too but they are much more flimsy and the wallplate dont really get tight with the wall.