• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Goodies not provided by employer

Started by CableDaddy3, December 18, 2007, 01:41:40 pm

previous topic - next topic

CableDaddy3

Quote from: wallfishman on December 22, 2007, 07:25:21 pm
...the wallplate dont really get tight with the wall.

Yeah, I was going to say that. Sometimes one side will sit be flush but the other is almost a 1/4" out. It sucks. But, when you need the big hole it's better than nothing.
Quote from: dj4man on February 10, 2008, 03:14:22 pm
I feel like every day I worked as a contractor was a day stolen from me.

Quote from: CableTool on December 18, 2007, 01:53:02 pm
They have like.. yellow crumbely crap on em? And smell odd.
In any event, tonight Ill clean em up and give one a whirl...

http://adam-tech.blogspot.com/

AJ

We use the lovely orange "mud boxes" here too since a lot of these brand new McMansions only come prewired with CARDBOARD boxes in the wall with a blank wallplate because they were too cheap to put a real one in place...

Another item I wish work would provide...

My $35 Peet Boot Dryer... Makes a world of difference in keeping your boots in top shape... Something like 5 oz of sweat per foot per day... Anyways, I just like having my boots all warm and toasty when I put them on in the morning instead of damp and smelly... Doesn't get hot, just warm and dry enough to dry the insides without drying out the leather...

And Obenauf's Leather Preservative... Should be stocked in the warehouse like muddy day booties and leather gloves... Makes breaking in boots much less painless...
The views and opinions expressed by AJ do not reflect those of Cable ONE, Inc., The Washington Post Company, or any of it's subsidiaries and do not constitute an endorsement or condemnation of any particular security, product, service, method, idea, concept or other nouns or verbs.
2200 miles of plant; 30% UG/70% OH
4500 square miles
8 counties across 2 states & 2 area codes
100,000+ homes voice serviceable
Multiple OTNs
Multiple Headends
Multiple CMTSs
Arris MTAs
Motorola/GI STB & Modems
Harmonic & Aurora Nodes

jeffmoss26

I use the Caddy MPLS and the Arlington LV1 for voice/data work. The Caddy ones are nice until you stick your finger on the damn drywall screw.
Jeff
'I like, how much?"

Cableguy

Two things I brought with me from prior job as alarm installer. Three foot long, 3/8" drill bit (rarely used but nice when going through that big hollow space is easier & better looking than room wraps). Some of you guys might have similar bits but we don't wallfish so we don't get many tools for them.

Telephone wire toner, actually it's an alarm wire toner/tester very similar to the ones we're issued for tracing twisted pair. The thing I like about this one is that instead of the indicator light, it beeps, makes it alot easier to work with when you're a room or two away & can't see the light on the tester. Still does the tone generation w/wand too. The only downfall was that it doesn't come with the bed-of-nail clips, I had to order them separately but they're sooo much better then those regular alligator clips.
http://www.tempo-textron.com/prod_detail.cfm?cat=800&subcat=803&pid=11081
Science shouldn't lie just to make you more comfortable. That's religion's job.

Helter

I picked this up about 2 weeks ago.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100598647&N=10000003+90401&marketID=401&locStoreNum=8125

Reason, MDU's leave a lot of space to be desired with even a stub wrench. So far I like it, I have tested the questionable mount connector for sliding F-fittings onto preped cable, but so far I have not had a chance to use it when you actually need it, when the cable is hard and cold.

Pros - Works in MDU's where there is not always room to move a wrench

Cons - Somewhat annoying if you do not mindfully manage the cable behind it.
Cable dictionary
Masochism - Setting DSLR as your home page.
Sadism - Setting other cable tech's homepage as DSLR.

CableDaddy3

if you can't get a wrench back there, how do you fit this?

Helter

Quote from: CableDaddy3 on January 19, 2008, 10:59:44 am
if you can't get a wrench back there, how do you fit this?

This slides over the line and to teh fitting like a screw driver, so you do not have to have space to the left/right/above/below/some crazy angle in the corner to turn the fitting.

Kind of like a security sleeve tool only a little better grip with the screw driver handle.

It was only $16 though not $26.
Cable dictionary
Masochism - Setting DSLR as your home page.
Sadism - Setting other cable tech's homepage as DSLR.

GoDucks

If enough people gripe, we usually get a few new oddball but helpful items each year. Most recently they iissued everyone this little device called a cable tool

http://cgi.ebay.com/PSIBER-CT50-Multifunction-Cable-Tool-Length-Meter_W0QQitemZ170188509417QQihZ007QQcategoryZ97139QQcmdZViewItem

Its a toner, length and VOM meter all in one. Its pretty nifty since it provides the function of the three items we already carry separately.

We were also issued modified golf ball retrievers a while back. They used bolt cutters to cut the end into a hook and they're intended to grab the pile of cable you shove into an attic eave without having to maneuver yourself all the way over to grab it. It was super handy until I left mine in an attic somewhere in this city.  :cry: Oops. 

steelhead78

Quote from: GoDucks on January 26, 2008, 09:45:24 am

We were also issued modified golf ball retrievers a while back. They used bolt cutters to cut the end into a hook and they're intended to grab the pile of cable you shove into an attic eave without having to maneuver yourself all the way over to grab it. It was super handy until I left mine in an attic somewhere in this city.  :cry: Oops. 

We use lay-up sticks for that.
Comcast- Blairsville, PA

This is like a think-tank of nothing.

CableDaddy3

I always tied the cable with black tape to a rat, then tossed a piece of cheese over where I needed the cable.

Hardlife

Comcast

"Welcome to the Coalition of the Abused"

Quote from: slacker05 on July 04, 2008, 07:55:43 pm
Quota optimization.  otherwise known as lube

w0lfpaws

did that with the customers yorkie, tied it to his collar customer went to other end of 80' tralier and called his dog,.....worked like a charm...... :cheers:

CableDaddy3

slacker05

Quote from: w0lfpaws on January 27, 2008, 11:58:40 am
did that with the customers yorkie, tied it to his collar customer went to other end of 80' tralier and called his dog,.....worked like a charm...... :cheers:

why am i not surprised?
Slacker: Always.

CCT5, Keystone

Quote from: sleepinwitdcablguy on December 23, 2007, 04:53:14 pm
I wish stupid hurt. 

Quote from: Decoy on September 20, 2010, 10:25:36 am
In the pursuit of numbers customer service suffers.

SKL

Quote from: travis2144 on December 22, 2007, 04:25:05 pm
i don't like the metal ones.  we use these:

The MP1P has a CIFA number - I order them for business services, but will issue to anyone.

Also stock 3' drill bits.

There is a box of non-issued tools in the warehouse - weird things that get returned when someone leaved the company or tries to exchange. Mostly cheap screwdrivers or pocketknives. There is the occasional vice-grip plier or leatherman though. :naughty:
SKL's Warehouse, "If It's in stock, we got it!"