• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

why is this our problem??

Started by slacker05, January 26, 2008, 11:59:50 am

previous topic - next topic

slacker05

i know this could go in the custs the make you say wtf thread, but here is where it is.....

just got a call from a fellow tech who's at a t/c for chsi.  the contractor that did the install for this called me two days ago.  sub has a mac w/ os 9.1 and we can't figure out how to disable the dial up and enable the ethernet.  we spent about 15-20 min trying to walk thru different panels and had no results.  i told the contractor that we don't support anything lower than os 10.1 (per sik box), inform the sub and roll.  sub calls in for a t/c.  tech calls me a few min ago and we do the same song and dance, altho this time i'm at a computer and try to search for some answers (google/askjeeves/macworld).  no luck.  tech tells me more about the mac.  48mb of ram and only a 4gb hdd.  the damn thing is just too old.  while we're working on it i hear the sub in the background start going on about dish is cheaper blah blah and they have a bundle with dsl and if we're too dumb to make our stuff work maybe she should call them.  i'm a smartass and ask the tech if he wants me to lookup embarq's number...   and then tell him to tell sub to call apple it's out of our hands.  the mta is provisioned and out of wallgarden, and that is where our responsibility lies.  i'm sure the sub's just gonna call in for another t/c.

went to the comcast.com site and tried to find a min req for pc's and macs.  can't find anything.

so for the good of the technical nature of this forum, does anyone have the definitive answer for what comcast's current min requirements for customer computers is?

what i've been going by is the sik.  10.1 and higher for mac, 300-400mhz processor, 256mb ram and 10gb hdd.  for pc we were told to follow whatever m$ was actively supporting, no older than 98se and similar hardware requirments.

anyone know?
Slacker: Always.

CCT5, Keystone

Quote from: sleepinwitdcablguy on December 23, 2007, 04:53:14 pm
I wish stupid hurt. 

Quote from: Decoy on September 20, 2010, 10:25:36 am
In the pursuit of numbers customer service suffers.

CableDaddy3

I think a useful brain is required, but I'm not sure.
Quote from: dj4man on February 10, 2008, 03:14:22 pm
I feel like every day I worked as a contractor was a day stolen from me.

Quote from: CableTool on December 18, 2007, 01:53:02 pm
They have like.. yellow crumbely crap on em? And smell odd.
In any event, tonight Ill clean em up and give one a whirl...

http://adam-tech.blogspot.com/

maxpower

I would go by the SIK. Our requirements are very similar to yours except we cut support for ME and 98 and lower.
Most people think cable is just a simple coax that comes out of the wall. They never take the time to understand how it works.

Customer: "There shouldn't be a problem inside. I hooked the boxes up myself."

Cableguy

The webpage sometimes has slightly older info that what is really current, but even that says the guys computer is an old piece of crap.

http://www.comcast.net/help/faq/index.jsp?faq=Computer_Setup117528
Science shouldn't lie just to make you more comfortable. That's religion's job.

CableDaddy3

Honestly, as long as they have a working network card and proper protocols installed, there is not "minimum". A DOS user can surf just fine, albeit text based. The dude's got something wrong with his computer and wants your company to fix it for free. He doesn't care that cable companies don't fix computer and that if they did it wouldn't be free. He's a dick who won't accept responsibility for his own shit. I think that every internet install should come with a letter to the customer explaining what is and is not our responsibility. That way it is in writing before the sub even thinks of calling in. Example:

Call your cable company if:
-The cable light on the modem is blinking or out
-The modem doesn't power on
-Cannot surf whatsoever (just to verify the modem is working properly over the phone)

Do not call if:
-you have a virus
-can visit some sites but others don't work
-your email is getting deleted
-IE is taking several minutes to load
-your browser is hijacked
-your computer is in hibernate mode (I honestly had an internet out for this on the 4th of july  :wtf:)
-you have spyware
-your getting slow speeds from a stupid speed test site but downloads are fine and page loads are fine

you get the point from here

Cableguy

Quote from: CableDaddy3 on January 26, 2008, 01:50:07 pm
Call your cable company if:

-The modem doesn't power on

Yeah & try plugging the modem into a different outlet or try turning the light switch on before calling us for this one!! lol

One of my favorites was a few years ago. I did an install on some Win95 machine, had to install an ISA ethernet card & restart the computer a couple times to get it to take but it worked fine when I left. The next day one of the guys on my team asked me what I did out there because now he has a service call out there, something about her computer won't turn off, just keeps restarting. OK, worked when I was there. He calls me later laughing, it wouldn't shutdown because she didn't choose 'shutdown' from the menu, it was still on 'restart' from all the work I was doing on it, you gotta be shittin' me! Oh yeah & to top it off it was an older woman but 'she knew all about computers', she'd been using them for years, dumbass!

slacker05

i know just about anything can surf, but i need something in writing to point to so i can say (after putting forth an honest effort to get it online) sorry it's not our problem.

thanks to cableguy for the link.  i think i'ma gonna print that and keep a few copies in my clipboard.   :sixer:

CCT5, Keystone

I wish stupid hurt. 

CableDaddy3

Quote from: slacker05 on January 26, 2008, 02:22:25 pm
i know just about anything can surf, but i need something in writing to point to so i can say (after putting forth an honest effort to get it online) sorry it's not our problem.

Take in a laptop and if it surfs, it's not your problem. Actually, as long as the modem has sync it's not your problem. Don't make the mistake of getting too caught up in the customer's computer. If it doesn't work, it's not your problem. You poke around too much and when there is a problem, he will blame you.

slacker05

yeah, fortunately i have a laptop, but the tech i was talking to didn't.  sadly, not all the techs in our office have them, which is why we find ourselves in this kind of stupid situation.

CCT5, Keystone

I wish stupid hurt. 

steelhead78

Quote from: CableDaddy3 on January 26, 2008, 02:37:29 pm
Actually, as long as the modem has sync it's not your problem.

Unless you have a bad ethernet port on the modem.
Comcast- Blairsville, PA

This is like a think-tank of nothing.

CableDaddy3

Quote from: steelhead78 on January 26, 2008, 03:53:31 pm

smart ass

CableDaddy3

AH HA! If the warehouse did THEIR job and tested all the equipment before it went into the field, this wouldn't be a problem either!

Cableguy

Quote from: steelhead78 on January 26, 2008, 03:53:31 pm

I thought that's why they put a USB port on there too, as a back up.  ;D

CableDaddy3

Cableguy

Quote from: CableDaddy3 on January 26, 2008, 05:17:13 pm
AH HA! If the warehouse did THEIR job and tested all the equipment before it went into the field, this wouldn't be a problem either!

Geesh, as is it the warehouse people have to show up to work, now you want them to do their job?! You know they have it rough back there talking & taking smoke breaks!  :smoke: