• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Common Problems- Digital Tiling

Started by CableTool, January 20, 2007, 10:12:54 pm

previous topic - next topic

Super Fly Cable Guy

I still have no Digital analyzing meter ;)  Still kickin it with a SDA5000 with no QAM tuner upgrade :(
Mediacom Communications BFE, Kentucky !
"It's only Roadside if you make the Road !"

http://www.myspace.com/zax42071

steelhead78

With the select button, it is actually 3 seconds, 15 if you use the pause on the remote.

Worst suck out I had to work on was about 7 years ago, first winter after an upgrade.  House at the end of line, about 5:30, pitch black, 20 degrees or so, 30 mph winds and about 12 inches of snow..  After I verified the levels were low at the GB, told the customer it may take some time before I get back, so don't worry.

Went to their tap first and was hanging off of my ladder, fingers freezing in front of an open field with those winds blowing.  Probably up there only about 15 minutes ripping everything apart and putting it back together, but it felt like an hour.  Everything looked good there, had to go further back.  I knew there used to be an amp a few spans back that had been replaced with a double splice, but I hated going there and finding out it was further back.  So I went to the last tap prior to that, about another 3-4 spans back.  Levels good off of the tap, so pulled apart the output, and of course, everything was good there.  By this time, my steel shanks had frozen solid, I couldn't feel my feet, so I decided to warm them up before ripping into that double splice.  Took about 30 minutes to thaw them out.

My phone rings, it's dispatch.  The customer wants to know where I went.  They said I took off!  I flipped the fuck out!  I said I told that asshole I would be out here working on it and was not leaving!  Why the fuck do they think their cable has been going on and off?

Of course, when I ripped apart the splice, it was sucked out, so I recored it and had them back on.  Went back to the house and it was all I could do to keep from hitting that fat dick.  He has a little bit of money, so he thinks he's the shit.  We all know he's just a big asshole with a wallet.
Comcast- Blairsville, PA

This is like a think-tank of nothing.

Codacious

hehehe... good one steelhead. Needs to be in Readers Digest.  :cheers:
I gotta admit that I don't like Bar splices, but when checking for suck-outs and loss of AC, them seizures are a heck of a lot more helpful then straight splices. I remember my worst one had a crack in the joint of a double splice so I came down after measuring and prepped and cored a new 625 jumper and went back up and was 2' short. Pissed.... I came down and made a new one and went back up and was STILL 2' short...
Damn cable was sucking back into the lashing  :duh:
Came down, made a 12' RG6 jumper w/2 baths, went up and tied them in and turned it over to maintenance  :wtf:
And don't even get me started on looking for bullet holes ! 1:00AM in the middle of a mud truck hole with water and who knows what else up to my belly button holding a spotlight for a poor 'ole service tech in training who I had standing on a chair on top of an abandoned van splicing a temp jumper in (midspan, had to cut the lashing and bring it down enough to core and temp)...
Man...where some good times  :cry:

I'm sure most of us have been up a pole at 2AM wondering WTF am I doing here and is this the career for me...

Now the techs only have to go far back as the tap and (Supposedly) change it if any water/bad ports damage but we usually get NR's for them also.

@mzacharko Thats gotta suck backtracking digital problems with a digi box, test set and inverter (that's what we had to do before we got ours). Of course, if you're only responsible to the tap like our techs... :rolleyes:

edit : And 10:1 the rich asshole didn't even try to give a tip for all that work, but the old lady on welfare who you made a new jumper for probably tried to slip you a couple $$$

steelhead78

Damn straight.  Told you he was a dick!
Comcast- Blairsville, PA

This is like a think-tank of nothing.

Super Fly Cable Guy

Quote from: Codacious on December 07, 2008, 04:31:10 am

@mzacharko Thats gotta suck backtracking digital problems with a digi box, test set and inverter (that's what we had to do before we got ours). Of course, if you're only responsible to the tap like our techs... :rolleyes:

I wish ;) . They are just now really starting in on me to check these "repeat TC's" and I was supposed to have an 860 Meter about 4 months ago. 1 Meter came in for me but it had no SSR , RSVP and any kind of return measuring funstions at all. I asked them what I was supposed to do with this? They said ... oops .. we ordered the wrong meter. That same meter is sitting in the back of our warehouse and I still have nothing to take its place.

Codacious

Sometimes you just have to play ignorant...

Send an email to your supervisor about the meter still sitting back there and note that you can't do you're job properly without one. Don't forget to CC his super and the GM also. You should have your meter in a week but you'll have to hang low for a month an just impress the sh*t out of them by fixing some escalations calls properly.

It worked for somebody I know.....   :)

Super Fly Cable Guy

So far using the SDA5000 with no QAM functions, the only thing I'm having issues troubleshooting are those frequencies that are in the FM band or the UHF band. Most of the time i can view the In Channel response on the digital carrier and see issues that I can trace down fairly easy; but when it comes to the FM / UHF problems ... I'm screwed.

It wouldn't be that bad but here lately I'm getting escalation calls to go out and fix these repeats and I'm finding out quickly that these "system problems" are bad drops and outlets.

30% ? Copper braided RG59 carrying our Starz / Encore Channels at 93 MHz (Channel 95) while we have a radio station at 93.1 FM. Also our Digital EIA Channels 72 & 73 are getting their asses whipped by the local PBS station, KET. I could have hooked up a TV to that outlet, cut the end off and watched TV just fine ;) I was the 6th Technician to that guys house. I actually borrowed our HE techs 860 Meter so that I had a fighting chance. MER was 36 at the splitter and 23 at the DCT. Looked easy enough to troubleshoot to me ..... :pee:   :suicide:   :860love:

Now if they could just do something about tracking noise on the plant with that 860 Meter ... I'd be in love