• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Anyroom DVR stuff/issues

Started by Cableguy, August 29, 2010, 12:19:36 pm

previous topic - next topic

Cableguy

We just launched this a few weeks ago & haven't seen to many problems with it yet. The one I've heard a few times is that at install it takes a while & some rebooting of boxes to get the recorded shows to show up on the terminal boxes. Once they're finally seen they seem to go good from there.

I've only had 1 install so far & I got everything working fine DVR-wise but OnDemand never worked on the terminal box. Install was for 1 hub & 1 terminal, replaced 2 DCT700 boxes which had no issues (OnDemand or otherwise) even though signal was shitty. Cleaned up signal during install & hub box/DVR is working fine. Terminal responds to all DPET hits/initializations & one of our best dispatchers did everything she could to get OnDemand working=no good. The little lightning bolt on box display keeps flashing & box never pulls IP it needs. I'm thinking it's an odd system issue due to the fact that the hub boxes are DCX3200-M units & we had a similar issue months ago with dealing with regular DCX3200 boxes at a house in the same town. The other house had same symptoms & after tech left box overnight & checked next day it was still the same thing. We tried putting another box of the same model in & messed with that for over a half hour. Then we swapped that out for an old DCT5100 HD box & OnDemand was working in less then 5 minutes.

I haven't heard of anyone else complaining of the same issue but for one thing we've gotten very few DCX3200 boxes being the Pace RNG110 came out about the same time & they were cheaper=company got those instead. As it was I spent ~3 hours at this install the other day & didn't have another box to even try being they're new & only 1 person on the team carries them (not to mention it was after 4pm when this whole mess unraveled).

Being I'm basically the senior tech on the team I ended up referring the job to a coach & tier2 at my office. I don't think they've done anything with it yet but I was just wondering if by some odd chance any of you guys have run across this.
Science shouldn't lie just to make you more comfortable. That's religion's job.

cableguy66

I have done a couple of these now and my biggest issue is the fact that all of the moca boxes are shipped without the S28 software and they won't download until it's placed on an account.  It takes about 45-60 minutes to completely download, so if you are at a house where the wiring is good, you are either waiting or taking a chance by leaving and telling the sub to check it in an hour or so.  Therefore, if I am doing it on an install, I have been connecting the boxes in the office and putting them on the account and picking them up on the way to the install. 

Other than that, as long as you place the moca trap where it's supposed to be and your cables are decent, you should be golden.  Those boxes output at around 38db to communicate with each other, so you have a lot of legroom for splitter loss and cable length.  Bottom line is that they should work fine as long as you follow normal specs. 
What's the matter kid?  Doncha like clowns? Why?  Don't we make ya laugh??  Aren't we fuckin' funny? ? ?

kf4hfn

I'm still trying to figured out why we need the trap?

Even if we still used 4dB taps the signal wouldn't reach the neighbors house.
I figure worst case 38dBmv at 1.2Ghz through a 2 way then 100' drop through 30 dB tap isolation. Then another 100' to the neighbor adds 4 dB tap and another 10 dB drop loss at 1.2GHz.

In the above example your looking at most -30 at the neighbors TV.
CT-6

slacker05

i guess it comes down to why let more unwanted noise into the plant?  we contstantly fight ingress, why be our own source?  i know the maint guys out there will say install/service dept is the source of their ingress but we'll leave that one for another day. :)
Slacker: Always.

CCT5, Keystone

Quote from: sleepinwitdcablguy on December 23, 2007, 04:53:14 pm
I wish stupid hurt. 

Quote from: Decoy on September 20, 2010, 10:25:36 am
In the pursuit of numbers customer service suffers.

Helter

Quote from: kf4hfn on November 17, 2010, 08:00:27 pm
I'm still trying to figured out why we need the trap?

Even if we still used 4dB taps the signal wouldn't reach the neighbors house.
I figure worst case 38dBmv at 1.2Ghz through a 2 way then 100' drop through 30 dB tap isolation. Then another 100' to the neighbor adds 4 dB tap and another 10 dB drop loss at 1.2GHz.

In the above example your looking at most -30 at the neighbors TV.

I am going to guess its two fold. Even though we do not carry those signals on the plant we also do not monitor them, and in a situation where say the 4 tap is not really EOL, and LE is put into extend it, what happens to that stray signal? I know the amps are rated for 1Ghz, but what if they still boost the signal where the moca is at? then what happens down that LE?  Have we ever checked for ingress in the above 1ghz range on our plant? Nope. What if its there then at least the moca filter would stop it from getting on to the local local drop system and interfering with this right?

I just find it humorous we spent all that effort getting rid of "expensive traps" only to start using them again.
Cable dictionary
Masochism - Setting DSLR as your home page.
Sadism - Setting other cable tech's homepage as DSLR.

BeachinTech

They also reflect the signal back, which helps the boxes communicate with less loss.
To err is human, but it takes a computer to really foul things up.