• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Help with DVR Security Tab

Started by maxpower, April 19, 2007, 01:20:29 pm

previous topic - next topic

maxpower

A few months ago, I took apart my DVR to see what it looks like inside. I know it sounds dumb. Well it's been acting up on me pretty much since I have go it. It has come time where I am going to try to swap it out. The only thing is the plastic security tab on the back has broken. Any suggestions on how to return this box without getting charged? Should I just play dumb? Keep in mind I work for the cable co so my dismantling of the DVR was not in ill will. Thanks for any suggestions.
Most people think cable is just a simple coax that comes out of the wall. They never take the time to understand how it works.

Customer: "There shouldn't be a problem inside. I hooked the boxes up myself."

Angus

You really think they check those?

I'm sure we don't here.. but again i don't work in the warehouse.. but judging by the people who do they sure as hell don't check

Chaplin

There's a plastic security tab on these unit? Shit I look at them everyday and never seen it.
Quote from: slacker05 on December 01, 2009, 05:13:02 pm
way to go chappy!  that was the most abrupt hijack i've ever seen on here!  :sixer:

maxpower

It looks like a black piece of black plastic on the back. When you take the lid off the piece breaks. Sounds like I should be good to go from what Angus said. I am wondering if I should put the broken piece back in or just leave the empty hole. Ill post pics if I get a chance.
Most people think cable is just a simple coax that comes out of the wall. They never take the time to understand how it works.

wowman

gotta stop letting my sup help me at my jobs....damn repeats..

maxpower

wowman

hmm.....not sure what to do we use SA's
gotta stop letting my sup help me at my jobs....damn repeats..

QuadShield

Hell i would just state that it fell off the shelf in my truck.  Our GM is an @$$ when it comes to eq so it has to be on a shelf or in a box.  Besides the Moto DVR's (we use them) suck if you dont have good cust education on install.
Protection better than the Trojan, its QuadShield!
Insight Communications
Columbus, OH

maxpower

I found it!! Only a buck too!!! I can order it along with my Jerrold "test chip."

https://www.newelectronx.com/proddetail.php?prod=SPLUG&cat=19

SKL

For educational purposes, only of course.

I had a DVR with a fan bearing that dried out and screeched. Didn't want to lose the recordings so I replaced the little 40mm screamer fan in my DVR with a leet blue LED 80mm computer case fan. The DVR provides 5 volts for the fan, the 80mm was a 12v. It still turned, though at a low speed. Quieter, very nice. And it projected a grille pattern on the wall in leet bloo.

Also tried to do a HDD transplant of a drive from a DVR that went all 8888s. Put it's drive in a DVR that was returned minus it's drive. While it still booted and displayed the titles of the recorded shows, it would give a blank screen when attempting to view any of the recordings. Recordings must be locked to the originating box.

Thought about transplanting a 160g drive to a 6412 - making it a 6416. Should work. The hardware is said to top out at 160.

Security clips, yep it's from the Jerrold era - think they are less than .10 ea, though need to buy 'em in bulk.

SKL's Warehouse, "If It's in stock, we got it!"

maxpower

QuoteThought about transplanting a 160g drive to a 6412 - making it a 6416. Should work. The hardware is said to top out at 160.

I saw a thread on another forum (AVSforum perhaps) about people doing just that. The person took a same branded 160 drive bought off the net and it worked fine from what I can remember.